During the unrest of the late 1930s a series of very strong, defensive forts to use as police stations were built. They were designed by Sir Charles Tegart, a British police officer from Calcutta.
Many are still used today, including Camp 1392 between Hadera and Umm al-Fahm near Tel Aviv, run by Unit 504 and which some refer to as the 'Israeli Guantanamo'. It is also known as a 'black site', a secret establishment where prisoners can be held incommunicado and outside the law.
Photo: Leif Thomsen, Danish Veteran